Moving to Whitby (Whitby Minor Hockey)

PrintMoving to Whitby

Whitby Minor Hockey Association




If you are moving to Whitby and want your son or daughter to be eligible to attend Rep Tryouts, the following guide will provide a step by step walk through of what’s required before attending tryouts.

A word on playing rep/competitive hockey in Whitby:

Whitby is a residence restricted association, and fully abides by OMHA Regulation 3.3 governing that only confirmed residents of Whitby shall be eligible to tryout, and be rostered to a Rep team. 

Rep Teams that fall under this regulation:

U10 TO U16  AAA, AA, A, BB, and MD


Whitby does not accept NRP/Imports

OHF Regulations pertaining to Residential Moves: (Process has changed)

Players moving into WMHA from another OHF Minor Member (GTHL/Alliance/NOHA):

Any player moving into  WMHA is required to complete the OHF Residential Move form and submit directly to the OHF Office at [email protected] along with the required documents listed on the form.

OHF Transfer Form

If you are moving from another OMHA centre, please follow the steps below.

Please read the instructions in its entirety and follow accordingly.  Applications that are not complete will not be processed and will only delay completion.

Step 1: Obtain the necessary documents:

Mandatory Documents 

  • Copy of birth certificate for player
  • Copy of purchase or rental agreement (amounts can be blacked out)
  • Copy of drivers license with new Whitby address
  • Copy of home/rental insurance with new Whitby address
  • Copy of bills with the new Whitby address (the more the better)
  • Copy of school enrollment confirmation (citing school year)
  • A letter authorizing the OMHA to call and confirm school attendance throughout the year
  • Notary Public Affidavit in split custody circumstances, with split residence, confirming the player resides within Whitby more than 50% of the time (joint-custody). .  Note this can also be used as additional documentation in other family or custody orders


Optional Documents (ensure approval)


  • Property Tax bill/statement for new Whitby address
  • Land Title/Deed
  • Car Insurance and Ownership with new Whitby address


Step 2: Scan each document individually

1. Do not come into the Whitby office and ask people to scan them for you.

2. Do not scan all documents into one big file.  Scan each as its own file/attachment.

The attachments MUST be in PDF format (the only acceptable format) and each document must be smaller than 3MB.

3. Complete Residential Move form (provided by WMHA)


Important Note: This is an easy, straightforward and reasonably streamlined process if the requestor provides all mandatory supporting documentation, in the correct format, at the correct time. In the event one or more obligatory documents aren’t provided, no guarantee on response time exists, and it’s probable that the player will miss some/all tryouts. As with all things, the more documentation the better, so the more proof you can provide the higher the possibility of a quick approval. Finally, false residency claims and residency claims that cannot be substantiated will result in forfeiture of full registration fees.

Please direct any questions and/or concerns to Sandra Perfetti  [email protected]


                                               Question_Mark_sign.png      FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q. I am moving to Whitby from another centre that is not part of the OMHA (GTHL, out of province, etc.) - does that make a difference?

A. Yes it does! Per OHF regulation E.99, if you are transferring from another hockey centre that is outside of the OMHA, you will need to contact the OHF  (see above)

Q. I am thinking about moving to Whitby, but haven’t settled on a home/condo/rental.  How does this impact me?

A. Your player is not eligible to play Whitby Rep Hockey until you satisfy all documentation requirements outlined above.

Q. I have purchased a home/condo/rental in Whitby, but I don’t move in until after tryouts.  Is my player eligible to skate at tryouts?

A. Please contact Sandra Perfetti directly at [email protected]

Q. We have joint custody of our player, and one parent is in Whitby, the other is not – is my player eligible for tryouts under this circumstance?

A. As long as you can satisfy all documentation requirements above, including an affidavit that proves more than 50% of the player’s time is spent with the Whitby parent, and the player attends school in Whitby, then the player will be eligible.

Q. My purchased home in Whitby doesn’t close until after the season starts – what now?

A. Unfortunately, your player will not be able to participate in tryouts for the current season as per current OMHA regulations.

Q. Can I register before you approve my residency request?

A. No – the Hockey Canada Registry will block all activity by Whitby until such time that the residency request is processed.

Q. I don’t agree with this residency stuff and I am going to file a false move.

A. You should be aware that every Residency/Move request and all documentation is thoroughly investigated by the OMHA, and any false claim or misleading information may result in player suspension for a prolonged period of time, regardless of association (Hockey Canada).

Q. What is the process between the WMHA and the OMHA for moves within the OMHA?  I want to know more.

A. Your documents will be reviewed by the WMHA for completeness, accuracy and format.  Should they pass this preliminary review, the WMHA will upload each document to the player’s permanent member profile on the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR).  Once each document has been uploaded and accepted by this secure program, an OMHA representative will review the submission for authenticity and completeness.  The OMHA will then a)approve, b)decline, or c)investigate for possible fraud the move, and will notify the WMHA accordingly.  Once notified, the WMHA will notify the member of the decision and next steps.

Q. I am moving into Whitby but my player has no interest in Rep or Select and will not be trying out for any of those teams, nor are they interested in being an affiliated player to a Rep or Select Team – what process do I follow?

A. Please follow the same process and select "House League" on the Residential Transfer Form.